[Haifux] W2L + Installation party?

Dave Roi davidroi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:30:41 MSD 2008

Hi,

I believe instaparties are still needed, just with more focus on post
install configuration and usage instructions.

I suggest focusing on installing all the cool packages that are needed but
aren't installed by default like setting up the dial up connections to their
ISPs, codecs, fonts, rar, ace, etc..
I'm sorry but the default install still lacks too much functionality and
most newbies aren't aware of their existance.

I would highly suggest doing the entire installation including post install
configurations using GUI alone.
No pounding giberish in the Terminal. It scares the newbies away :-)
Show them the fun stuff, the cool music players like amarok and Listen,
Elisa the media center, Nexuiz/Urban terror etc, NOT vim and programing.
How about a few stations on the side for people to play Nexuiz against each
other? :-)

I say lectures aren't needed, just have lots of veterans going around
helping people.

About the distro choice, I would go the Ubuntu way for the following
reasons:

1. That's the name most people have heard (from friends etc..).
2. That's what they see in the faculty.
3. Wubi, The windows Ubuntu Installer is the easiest way to dual boot. No
partitioning required.

About KDE, Haven't tried the 4.1.1 release yet, but 4.1 wasn't ready for any
real use.
I'm a gnome guy but that's a matter of personal taste.

Hopefully I'll be able to join the instaparty and help, it depends what
day/time is decided.

Dave.