[Haifux] W2L + Installation party?

Orr Dunkelman orr.dunkelman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:10:03 MSD 2008

Hi Everybody,

I said I'd summarize the W2L-planning meeting, and I shall "abuse"
Adir's point to report the discussions we had:

Concerning W2L - It seems that most people today heard about Linux,
and many of them have even used it for a short while. Moreover, with
today's Linux usability, we do not really need to "introduce" people
to Linux. What is lacking is something in the lines of SiL (staying in
linux). Showing people the stuff that they cannot do using
point-and-click (which today is quite a lot). We can of course name it
W2L if we wish (to ensure that we get the exposure with other LUGs).

So - we are missing suggestions s for the exact topics, and volunteers
to actually prepare and give the talks (note that it does not
necessarily have to be the same).

A statement which seemed to be agreed on all the present people, was
that it seems that today there is no need for an InstaParty, as
installation, and even partitioning is not as complex as it used to be
(or more precisely, they are plain easy).

An idea which we still need to explore is the suggestion by Ohad of
having "practical" hand-on sessions as part of the lectures (maybe
courtesy of the SSDL lab?), where people could sit down and follow the
lecturer.

Best regards,
Orr.