[Haifux] SSD and linux

gabik gabik at cs.technion.ac.il
Tue Sep 16 15:42:09 MSD 2008

Hello Doron

Why do you think it will speed up the OS?
What do you plan to do until the page is swapped in? Busy loop?

About your solution:
handle_mm_fault is called from within page fault handler (do_page_fault
<http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.26.5/+code=do_page_fault> ()).
So what is the rational behind calling handle_mm_fault not from inside
pagefault  handler?
Where would you call it from instead and what do you plan to do when you are
in the page fault?

Probably what you meant is, in order not to do context switch due to page
fault, is to call handle_mm_fault as usual, but not to raise need_resched
flag, so as not to trigger a context switch in case of a major page fault.

Gabi

  _____