[Haifux] SSD and linux

Doron Zuckerman doron.zuckerman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:31:09 MSD 2008

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the linux kernel (for those of you who are
familiar with it).

I'm looking for a way to add a change to the linux kernel in order to check
if I can make it more compatible with my Asus EEE-PC.
I would like to change the kernel in such way that it will not do a context
switch every time there is a page fault
and will wait for the required page to be brought from the SSD (Solid State
Drive), then continue as usual.
In Such way, I plan to check if I can fasten the speed of the Operating
System (Ubuntu for EEE).
I thought of adding a TIF flag in the process descriptor (thread_info_32.h)
that will tell me if I'm currently in a pagefault and
then change the fault_32.c in such way that it will do the
"handle_mm_fault(mm,vma, address, write_;" only if there is no
pagefault at the moment.
Can you suggest any other solution possible or tell me what you think about
this solution.

I would really appreciate any help with this,
Doron.