[Haifux] GIMP workshop(s): Any interest?

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Fri Sep 12 00:55:54 MSD 2008

Hello all,

I'm sure that most of you are aware of the existence of GIMP (The GNU
Image Manipulation Program) which is the free software's answer to
Photoshop (and for once, not an attempt to clone it).

I have to admit, that for a long time I had difficulties getting
something useful done with this piece of software. But since I've used
it quite a lot recently, I'm starting to feel at home using GIMP. And
only now it's getting really convenient to use. For me, that is.

It's all down to what happens when you paste something (you get a new
layer! Help! Help!) or how to draw a simple rectangle. Or get some text
written down. All those simple things, which are done so differently in
GIMP (for good reasons, once you understand them).

So I wondered: Is there any significant interest (emphasize on
significant) in a series of GIMP workshops, in which yours truly goes
through the basics, which we all need to get something useful done? No
slides, just an agenda of things to be clarified and demonstrated. And
some of you in the audience with laptops trying things out (read: going
through your mail ;).

The intention is to leave the complicated effects out, and focus on how
to import 20 images in a second, paint the whole screen with one color
in much less, and a lot of playing with layers. Etcetera.

And for a change, no Linux knowledge is necessary. As a matter of fact,
I would demonstrate the whole thing on GIMP under Windows XP (just to
prove that point).

So what do you say?

   Eli

--