[Haifux] UBUNTU instalation

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Tue Sep 9 23:46:01 MSD 2008

On Tuesday, 9 בSeptember 2008, Shahar Dag wrote:
> Sorry I forgot to attach the result of dpkg-query. The files are
> available at http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~ssdl/linux/ (if it helps)

I don't use Ubuntu, so I can only help you focus on the differences.

First sort the lists (they are sorted by version, not by line text)
than use comm(1).
E.g:
    comm -3 pkgs.1 pkgs.2

It shows pkgs.1 have a lot more packages than pkgs.2, but pkgs.2 versions
are a bit newer (look at anachron for example).

If you strip the versions (s/=[^=]*$//) and re-sort, you'll see there
are only 6 packages on pkgs.2 which aren't on pkgs.1 (because they
contain the version in their name...)
However, there are some +700 packages on pkgs.1 which are not on pkgs.2

Hope it helps,

Code Red, Blue or Green there all a symptom of a far more pervasive
and insidious virus, it costs around $200.
                                                -anonymous