[Haifux] [HAIFUX Lecture] High performance multi threaded programming - Shachar Shemesh

Orr Dunkelman orr.dunkelman at gmail.com
Thu May 8 01:44:26 MSD 2008

Next Monday, 12th of May, at 18:30 the Haifa Linux Club, will gather
to listen to Shachar Shemesh's talk about

        High performance multi threaded programming

Abstract

With a bit of manual reading, anyone can learn how to create a program
that has more than one thread of execution. This breaks down, very
rapidly, however, as the inter-dependencies inside the program start
to burden you down, to the point where you get race bugs that are
close to impossible to find. Fixing those typically involve using the
various locking mechanisms. The result is, more often than not, a
program that both works much slower than the number of threads and
processors would suggest it should, AND at the same time still has
race conditions.

This lecture will try to give rules relating to how to construct your
program to begin with so that it will provide high performance, be
maintainable (for some definition of maintainable), and be bug
efficient. In other words, this lecture is about learning to think
"multi-threaded". In fact, efficient enough multi-threaded design do
not even need to have more than one thread of execution......

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

That's a good idea. We're trying to cook something up.
Contact us if you like.

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish
to give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux
might be interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Orr Dunkelman,
Orr.Dunkelman at gmail.com

"Any human thing supposed to be complete, must for that reason infallibly
be faulty" -- Herman Melville, Moby Dick.

GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3 2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys. The key
corresponds to orrd at vipe.technion.ac.il)