[Haifux] Simulated permissions on VFAT

Ohad Lutzky ohad at lutzky.net
Wed Feb 6 23:28:02 MSK 2008

Looking for a simpler solution (although UMSDOS, upon re-reading,
seems to do exactly what I wanted, but is discontinued), here's an
alternative problem to solve: What I *REALLY* want to do is use my DoK
to synchronize two computers, when one of them has very poor upstream
(otherwise I'd use the excellent unison over the net). I already
currently do this using unison, but I lose permissions, which is a
problem.
One solution would be to save my files onto the DoK in archived form,
something along the lines of this:

Write:
tar jcvf sync.tar.bz2 files_to_sync/
rsync sync.tar.bz2 /media/DoK/sync.tar.bz2

Read:
rsync /media/DoK/sync.tar.bz2 sync.tar.bz2
tar jxvf sync.tar.bz2

However, this would be very slow, even without compression. Any ideas
on how to make it faster?

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and

Ohad Lutzky