[Haifux] Successful Windows Vista refund!!

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 22:15:29 MSK 2008

2008/12/4 Oleg Goldshmidt <pub at goldshmidt.org>:
> Another question, does anyone have experience with ordering a laptop
> from a major manufacturer (Dell, Lenovo) over the Internet - from
> Ireland or any other place - without an OS? Is it easier than buying
> a laptop in Israel and going through a small claims court to get a
> refund? It is cheaper or more expensive? Do laptops come with a
> world-wide license, so that even if I buy one from, say, Dell Ireland,
> Dell Israel will provide me with full hardware support? Oh, well, Dell
> Israel are likely to say something like, "Since you are not running
> Windows your warranty is void," and then one would have to go through a
> small claims court again, attaching the email exchange and the refund
> confirmation to the suit...

With my Dell Inspiron, it was cheaper to order it with Windows than
with FreeDOS, and Ubuntu was not offered at the time. I ordered the
laptop from the 'states and had a partner that was traveling bring it
to me. That was the most hassle-free and least-expensive option. Of
course, it depends upon someone traveling across the pond in your

Dotan Cohen