[Haifux] [W2l] New "Welcome to Linux" Series

Orr Dunkelman orr.dunkelman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 00:54:22 MSD 2008

OK Haifuxers,

here is a short discussion that has to be done before Rami's talk - do
we want to have a W2L event in haifa this year?

Any other discussions about what is going to be in it, are sort of
giving gas in neutral if there are no people to carry out the
talks/ads.

So I will give points in favor:
* It's good to have a short series of a few talks introducing Linux -
raises awareness, and helps people to get into Linux.
* This is a forum to let people know of the future possibilities.
* A good place to "recruit" new club members.

Some points against:
* A lot of work (usually the PR).
* Should be very careful in the W2L not to discourage people (no
attacks on Microsoft, no internal jokes - people will get the wrong
impression).
* This year, the students are going to be still stressed with all the
artifacts of the last strike, so attendance will be slightly lower
than expected.

Of course, we can have shorter series (then less work in preparing the
talks, but roughly the same work in advertising it).

Insta-party - given last years attempts - I would suggest against. A
huge resource investment for very little outcome at the end. Linux
installation has come a great way since the first years. I remember an
insta-party with 200 people, which was on the decrease ever since.

If anyone is willing to take care of the coordination of the W2L
series - I can help with getting rooms assigned.

--
Orr Dunkelman,
Orr.Dunkelman at gmail.com

"a scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, -- a mere
heart of stone" - Charles Darwin.

GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3 2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys. The key
corresponds to orrd at vipe.technion.ac.il)