[Haifux] New "Welcome to Linux" Series

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Aug 15 20:06:00 MSD 2008

On Friday 15 August 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/15 Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il>:
> > What we did is organise a series of presentations introducing Linux to
> > beginners. Like:
>
> I will take a look at the material that you currently have.

Thanks.

> > * Intro to Linux - what is it all about.
> >
> > * The Linux Installation Process.
> >
> > * Linux for the Student.
>
> Until the universities stop sending mail in .doc format and requiring
> certain Windows-only software (Turbo C with not GCC compatible code,
> Solidworks, etc.) then students will have a very difficult time moving
> to Linux. Engineers, also, for that matter (because of Solidworks).

You may wish to look at Sagiv's slides:

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/telux/lin-club_files/w2l-linux_for_student1.sxi

In any case, one can always use virtualisation.

> > * Development under Linux. (We focused about C development which is what
> > Technion and TAU students need to know).
> >
> > * Surviving in the FOSS Community / How to get help.
> >
> > * Basic Unix Administration.
> >
> > Etc.
> >
> > There also used to be a Linux installation party / Linux day at certain
> > points, where people brought their computers and other people helped them
> > install Linux.
>
> This has always seemed a failure, at least in my opinion.

We reached this conclusion in Telux too, and decided to skip it. Carrying a
computer to such a party and back is not such a good idea.

> Better that
> we go to the user's house / dorm and do the install there. The whole
> "should I move to Linux" question should be one-on-one. Note that not
> _everyone_ is in a position where they should move to Linux yet.

Yes, that's a good idea, and has been mine too.

s/install/installation/.

> > You can find last year's Telux schedule and slides here:
> >
> > http://welcome.linux.org.il/2007/timetable.html
> >
> > This year we're planning to move the "Linux Installation Process" lecture
> > right after the first Mini-Intro presentation, but otherwise everything
> > will remain the same.
>
> I will go through the material after September 9, which is my last
> Moed A exam. I will add what I can. Also, if anyone in the Haifa area
> needs a new Linux install and some first-use experience, then mail me!

OK. I can extend this offer to people in the Tel Aviv area too.

> I already have one waiting for me for after exams, and I have done
> quite a few before. I usually install Kubuntu, but I am willing to
> work with any distro the user wants (the one in September specifically
> wants SUSE).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

The Case for File Swapping - http://xrl.us/bjn7i