[Haifux] New "Welcome to Linux" Series

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Aug 15 01:28:21 MSD 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/11 Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il>:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > (Sorry for the English message, but English is the standard on some of
> > the mailing lists here).
> >
> > Well, now that August Penguin is behind us - it's time to organise the
> > next event - the "Welcome to Linux" series. I set up a page for
> > co-ordination on the www.hackers.org.il wiki:
> >
> > http://www.hackers.org.il/mediawiki/index.php/W2L-2008
> >
> > Please look at it, and see how you can contribute. See the "Todo" at the
> > bottom. I'll update the welcome.linux.org.il site soon.
> >
> > Which clubs are planning to host a W2L series this year? I'm going to
> > organise it for Telux, but need more information for other clubs. There's
> > a lot to do, but we have time.
> >
> > Please comment.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >        Shlomi Fish
>
> I signed up for the list.
>
> What kind of contacts do you need? I can be your man on the ground in
> Haifa, but to be honest, I really don't know much beyond the Fedora
> and Kubuntu GUIs in KDE. That said, I have helped a few people switch
> from Windows to Linux and I am familiar with most of the issues
> regarding such a switch in general and specific to Israel. I can help
> with installations and configuration of KDE including Hebrew GUI,
> consulting for end-users considering switching to Linux, and data
> migration from Windows. Note that is migration, not dual-boot, which I
> discourage.

Well, you can take a look at the sites of the previous series:

http://welcome.linux.org.il/2008/

What we did is organise a series of presentations introducing Linux to
beginners. Like:

* Intro to Linux - what is it all about.

* The Linux Installation Process.

* Linux for the Student.

* Development under Linux. (We focused about C development which is what
Technion and TAU students need to know).

* Surviving in the FOSS Community / How to get help.

* Basic Unix Administration.

Etc.

There also used to be a Linux installation party / Linux day at certain
points, where people brought their computers and other people helped them
install Linux.

You can find last year's Telux schedule and slides here:

http://welcome.linux.org.il/2007/timetable.html

This year we're planning to move the "Linux Installation Process" lecture
right after the first Mini-Intro presentation, but otherwise everything will
remain the same.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

My Aphorisms - http://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html