[Haifux] Announcing a new project - fakeroot-ng

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Mon Dec 31 08:57:59 MSK 2007

Alon Altman wrote:

> One thing I don't understand is why the complex set of scripts to save
> state? Can't you just use one instance of fakeroot to run the entire
> build script under? And even if you do need to save state, that's what
> the -s and -i options are for.
It's what they are for, but that does not mean that they get the job done.

fakeroot is a fairly thin wrapper around two distinct entities. The
first is the faked daemon, which keeps track of the state. The second is
the LD_PRELOAD library.

The problem is that, the two being distinct, the daemon doesn't really
know when the last process using it has exit. If you use "-s" it will
save the state on exit, but this "exit" point is not quite well defined
enough. On the other hand, you can set up your environment to connect to
a running daemon, but fakeroot the script has no mechanism to actually
do that. In essence, I wrote a wrapper that makes this relationship more
formal. This is, of course, nothing to do with fakeroot-ng (except for
the fact that this wrapper was still not good enough for me that I would
find writing fakeroot-ng unnecessary).

I'll just add that all of the above is true for about two and a half
years ago. Things may have improved since.

>   Alon

Shachar