[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Software Defined Networking -- Yonatan Zilpa

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Sep 28 20:08:21 MSD 2013

On Monday, September 30th at 19:30, HaifaSec and Haifux will gather to
hear a talk by Yonatan Zilpa:

    Software Defined Networking

IMPORTANT: The meeting starts ONE HOUR LATER than usual, and is in Taub
5 (room has changed as well).

Abstract

In this talk we will give a brief review on SDN paradigm for networking.
We start with a brief historical introduction on the evolution of SDN.
While still an evolving SDN paradigm offers significant benefits. In
oppose to Interdomain routing the SDN paradigm separates the control
plane from the data plane this paradigm creates new opportunities and
challenges. Among the benefit side SDN offers better routing policy
constraints, easy service deployment, adaptability, security features
and rapid network development. On the down side, SDN still has issues in
regards to scalability, reliability and consistency.

We will use mininet, a virtual network environment to create and analyze
various SDN network topologies. We will discuss on OpenFlow, the first
standard communications interface defined between the control and
forwarding layers of an SDN architecture. OpenFlow is a Southbound API
we will use Northbound API such as pox and pyretic to review SDN
programming examples.

THIS TIME we meet in Taub building, room 5. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

14/10/13 Nested Virtualization: Shadow Turtles: Muli Ben-Yehuda
28/10/13 OSv (new open-source OS for virtual machines): Nadav Har'El

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il