[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Bare-Metal Performance for I/O Virtualization -- Abel Gordon

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sun Jun 16 13:41:45 MSD 2013

On Monday, June 17th at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a talk by Abel
Gordon:

     Bare-Metal Performance for I/O Virtualization

Abstract

Hypervisors implement useful features such as live migration and
software-defined networking by interposing on their guest virtual
machines’ I/O activity. Unfortunately, this interposition significantly
reduces performance and scalability due to competition for resources
between multiple guests and costly host/guest context switches. We
present an efficient and scalable software-based I/O virtualization
system that provides all of the benefits of I/O interposition while
running host functionality on separate cores dedicated to serving
multiple guests’ I/O. We find that two dedicated cores can interpose on
the I/O activity of up to 14 I/O-intensive guests with performance that
is 1.2x–3x better than the baseline, in some cases exceeding the
performance of hardware-based I/O virtualization.

Authors: Nadav Har’El, Abel Gordon, and Alex Landau, IBM Research–Haifa;
Muli Ben-Yehuda, IBM Research–Haifa and Technion IIT; Avishay Traeger
and Razya Ladelsky, IBM Research–Haifa.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future meetings:

Note: The next meeting is on a Wednesday, 16:00 to 20:00, in Meyer 815

26/06/12 The Technion LyX Conspiracy: Ronen Abravanel and Daniel Vainsencher

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il