[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] You & The Biometric Database -- Jonathan J. Klinger

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Aug 31 20:38:50 MSD 2013

On Monday, September 2nd at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a talk by
Jonathan J. Klinger:

    You & The Biometric Database

----------------------

NOTE: Due to the somewhat volatile situation in the region, please check
the "Next Meeting" section on http://haifux.org/ just before leaving
home for this meeting.

----------------------

Abstract

In this talk, I shall discuss the use of biometrics for personal
identification by governmental authorities: The establishment of
biometric databases and the use of biometrics as unique identifiers
against state actors and other establishments. My main hypothesis is
that the use of biometrics is an apparatus for control that was first
used on inmates, criminals and other risk groups, then conveyed to
immigrants and other weak points in society. After this was concluded,
then the application on the entire population was imminent.

I shall use Israel as a case study for this research. Israel has a vast
census, which is quite different from other states and results from its
history. Since the 1990s, the ideas of applying a central database was
introduced to Israel, where it began by collecting DNA and Biometrics
from prisoners and suspects, then to immigrants workers, and from 2009,
a pilot relating to the entire population was enacted, which will soon
commence a pilot.

The other thread of my hypothesis is the informatication of the person,
by identifying him as no more than a record in a database, the person
becomes no more than a number, and is treated as such.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

16/09/13 This slot can be YOURS
30/09/13 Haifa-Sec: Software Defined Networking: Guy Edri

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il