[Haifux] Upstart lecture -- anyone?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Sep 14 11:55:11 MSD 2012

Hi Eli and all,

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:22:11 +0300
Eli Billauer <eli at billauer.co.il> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Having a very temporary issue with an Ubuntu system, I was forced to
> realize that they've changed the program running the father of all
> processes (init) from the "classic init" to Upstart. This means that
> the entire boot process has changed, and that the configuration of
> what runs when during the computer bring-up is nothing like it was
> before.
>
> See http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/

One should note that other distributions such as Mageia Linux (and I think
Fedora too) have been using systemd - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd .
systemd have caused me a lot of transition pains on Mageia, is currently at
version 189 (putting the Emacs version to shame), and its developers refuse
to port it to non-Linux systems.

Also see http://lwn.net/Articles/512719/ regarding Debian and OpenRC .

Shanah Tovah!

Regards,