[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] The Resource-as-a-Service (RaaS) Cloud -- Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sun Sep 2 03:11:17 MSD 2012

On Monday, September 3rd at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a talk by
Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda:

    The Resource-as-a-Service (RaaS) Cloud

Abstract

Over the next few years, a new model of buying and selling cloud
computing resources will evolve. Instead of providers exclusively
selling server-equivalent virtual machines for relatively long periods
of time (as done in today's IaaS clouds), they will increasingly sell
individual resources (such as CPU, memory, and I/O resources) for a few
seconds at a time. We term this nascent economic model of cloud
computing the Resource-as-a-Service (RaaS) cloud, and we argue that its
rise is the likely culmination of recent trends in the construction of
IaaS clouds and of the economic forces operating on both providers and
clients.

The paper appeared in HotCloud 2012. Joint work with Muli Ben-Yehuda,
Assaf Schuster and Dan Tsafrir. The theoretical talk will be followed by
a code walk-through of patch to memcached which makes it an application
that can use the benefits of the RaaS cloud, which is joint work with
Eyal Posener.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

24/09/12 What more can industry learn from open source?: Yael
          Vaya-Talmor
15/10/12 Adding Colors to Kademlia: Gil Einziger
29/10/12 Israeli Digital Rights NPO: Zvi Devir

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il