[Haifux] Haifux-Related Project: https://github.com/nelhage/reptyr - Reparent a running program to a new terminal

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Oct 19 23:55:15 MSD 2012

Hi all,

I recall that Guy Keren once suggested that we write a program like
that as a Haifa Linux Club project, so I was happy to see that now
someone did:

https://github.com/nelhage/reptyr

Reading from the description:

<<<
reptyr is a utility for taking an existing running program and
attaching it to a new terminal. Started a long-running process over
ssh, but have to leave and don't want to interrupt it? Just start a
screen, use reptyr to grab it, and then kill the ssh session and head
on home.

It is Linux-only (like Guy suggested originally it be) and so far works
only on the x86-32, x86-64 and ARM architectures, and has some open and
confirmed issues. However, I tested it and it seems to work pretty
well from my test.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish