[Haifux] Oops your system with plain malloc()

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri May 18 11:58:02 MSD 2012

Hello Eli,

On Thu, 17 May 2012 21:31:16 +0300
Eli Billauer <eli at billauer.co.il> wrote:

> On 05/17/2012 08:56 PM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Oh wait! You're using kernel- - not kernel 3.5.x (which does not exist
> > yet). That's a really old version. Is it an up-to-date distribution kernel? If
> > so - you can report it to your distributor. If not - you should upgrade.
> >
> Of course I should upgrade. That way I'll exchange a problem which has
> zero impact on my system (currently) with  one that will possibly cause
> real trouble. That's the good thing about upgrading all the time: You
> have a lot of quality time with you computer, fixing whatever broke when
> you upgraded to fix the previous problem.
> I may consider upgrading to a kernel > 2.6.35 which has gone through a
> long phase of "bug fixes only" but I understand there is no such around
> at the moment. What I call a vintage kernel.

This post by Gabor is of relevance here:

Namely, an upgrade may always introduce some broken things, but if you delay
it, then the gap will be larger, and will likely break more things.
Furthermore, I have been on development distributions (first Mandriva Cooker
and now Mageia Cauldron) and while there were breakages in the past, most of
the time, the upgrades went pretty well, and I didn't spend a lot of time in
fixing broken things.

	Shlomi Fish

My Favourite FOSS - http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/favourite/

We don’t know his cellphone number, and even if we did, we would tell you that
we didn’t know it.