[Haifux] Is the risk real? (Was: New mail icon for Thunderbird over Gnome)

guy keren guy.choo.keren at gmail.com
Mon May 14 03:58:57 MSD 2012

at least in the past - the risk was real.

when i first connected my computer to the internet via ADSL, and set up
firewall rules - i was surprised to see that i get many (hundreads) of
failed network connections from around the world.

what people do, is run software that scans complete address (IP) ranges,
and attempt to find exploitable services on them.

the solution, on my part, was to close down everything i could at the
firewall level, and try to keep the open services (e.g. the kernel
itself, ssh server, etc) updated. keeping things updated was annoying
with redhat - specifically the distribution updates - and is one of the
reasons i switched to ubuntu. i tend to keep to the LTS (long term
support - 3 years) versions of ubuntu - and try to be in long delay
after the latest distributions - after having the diss-pleasure of
upgrading too early to 8.04 (or something).

--guy