[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Bare-Metal Performance for I/O Virtualization by Abel Gordon

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Oct 29 20:47:31 MSD 2011

On Monday, October 31st at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear Abel Gordon
(IBM HRL) talk about

    Bare-Metal Performance for I/O Virtualization

Abstract

Direct device assignment enhances the performance of guest virtual
machines by allowing them to communicate with I/O devices without host
involvement. But even with device assignment, guests are still unable to
approach bare-metal performance, because the host intercepts all
interrupts, including those interrupts generated by assigned devices to
signal to guests the completion of their I/O requests. The host
involvement induces multiple unwarranted guest/host context switches,
which significantly hamper the performance of I/O intensive workloads.
To solve this problem, we present ELI (ExitLess Interrupts), a
software-only approach for handling interrupts within guest virtual
machines directly and securely. By removing the host from the interrupt
handling path, ELI manages to improve the throughput and latency of
unmodified, untrusted guests by 1.3x--1.6x, allowing them to reach
97%-100% of bare-metal performance even for the most demanding
I/O-intensive workloads.

Joint work with Nadav Amit, Nadav Har'El, Muli Ben-Yehuda, Alex Landau,
Assaf Schuster, and Dan Tsafrir

Slides to be published soon (probably Sunday evening or so).

================================

We meet in Taub (CS Faculty) building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

================================
Future Haifux talks include:

14/11/2011 GPGPU - Motivation and Architecture by Ofer Rosenberg

28/11/2011 GPGPU - OpenCL by Ofer Rosenberg

12/12/2011 GPGPU - Case studies, Do's and Dont's by Ofer Rosenberg

26/12/2011 GPGPU - Tools and profiling for performance by Ofer Rosenberg

09/01/2012 Maqaf Hataf Patakh - The new standard Hebrew keyboard layout
by Amir E. Aharoni

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event Haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il