[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] How to Participate in the Linux Kernel Development (and Why) by Baruch Siach

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Oct 8 22:21:32 MSD 2011

On Monday, October 10th at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear Baruch
Siach talk about

     How to Participate in the Linux Kernel Development (and Why)

Abstract

The Linux kernel is one of the largest scale free software projects.
More than thousand developers contribute code to each kernel release.
Becoming one of them is not an easy challenge. First you need to
familiarize yourself with the technical side of kernel development, with
its unique peculiarities. Then, you need to understand and carry out the
long, and sometimes painful, process of patch submission. However, the
reward for this pain is great.

This lecture is a practical introduction to the kernel development
process. I'll first explain why you (and your employer) should consider
submitting patches to the mainline kernel. Then, I'll show how this
process works, and what it takes to get your code into the mainline
kernel. This lecture is not about the technical side of kernel development.

The intended audience for this lecture is kernel hackers wannabes, and
those doing kernel development who do not participate (yet) in the
mainline kernel development.

================================

We meet in Taub (CS Faculty) building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

================================
Future Haifux talks include:

31/10/2011 Better Performance in Virtualization by Abel Gordon

14/11/2011 GPGPU - Motivation and Architecture by Ofer Rosenberg

28/11/2011 GPGPU - OpenCL by Ofer Rosenberg

12/12/2011 GPGPU - Case studies, Do's and Dont's by Ofer Rosenberg

26/12/2011 GPGPU - Tools and profiling for performance by Ofer Rosenberg

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event Haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il