[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] GPIO, SPI, and I2C Control from Userspace, the True Linux Way by Baruch Siach

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sun Jun 26 02:55:53 MSD 2011

On Monday, June 27th (TOMORROW), at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear
Baruch Siach talk about

    GPIO, SPI, and I2C Control from Userspace, the True Linux Way

---------------

Abstract

General Purpose Input/Output (GPIO), Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI),
and Inter-Integrated Circuit (I2C), are common methods for digital
communication between electronic components. The Linux kernel, being a
popular choice for embedded solutions, provides a general abstraction
layer for each of those communication methods. Modern Linux kernels also
include drivers for many hardware modules implementing GPIO, SPI, or
I2C. The abstraction layers provide a generic way to communicate with
electronic devices, which is independent from the details of specific
hardware implementation. Each abstraction layer provides API for kernel
code, as well as userspace users.

In this talk I'll present the basics of each communication method, and
its generic userspace interface that Linux provides.

Slides are available at
http://haifux.org/lectures/258/gpio_spi_i2c_userspace.pdf

================================

We meet in Taub (CS Faculty) building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future Haifux talks include:

11/7/2011 SSD fundamentals by Amit Berman
25/7/2011 How to Spread Knowledge Throughout the World While Wearing
Only Your Slippers by Tomer Ashur.

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event Haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il