[Haifux] No! No! Don't compile your kernel!

choo at actcom.co.il choo at actcom.co.il
Tue Jan 25 01:36:40 MSK 2011

(top-posting. yey!)

just as an example - we are using CentOS at work. We needed to
touch something in the kernel - so we changed the code and
compiled it. we Stumbled into bugs in various
networking-related packages - so we took the srpms, read the
source and fixed some bugs. we had a kernel crash bug - and we
had a dump that allowed us to find the cause of the bug - and
sending a report to the relevant mailing list - someone made a
fix, and we could back-port it into our (centos) kernel and
solve the issue.

we had varius problems with python, so we could delve into
python's source code and understand what is causing them. we
also read parts of the code of glibc to understand why some
APIs don't work as we expect them to work.

so, linux is still open source, when you're on the side of the
developers. it takes more then in the past to do things,
because the system is more complicated and contains much more
packages and much more lines of code.

--guy