[Haifux] new Technion course: Operating Systems Engineering

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Mon Jan 24 13:09:19 MSK 2011

On 24/01/11 11:44, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> Shachar Shemesh<shachar at shemesh.biz>  wrote:
>

>> On the one hand, this is an extremely interesting course. On the
>> other hand, it sounds like a HUGE amount of work for just 4 points.
>>
> You know what they say, no pain, no gain. This will be the sort of
> course that puts a beard on your face.

Don't get me wrong. Had I still been a student, I'd take that class in a
blink of an eye. I'm just worried that students will take it without
realizing just how much work it is. This is the type of project *I*, at
my current experience level, would have to work relatively hard in order
to complete.
>> Is the platform Intel, or something saner (say, ARM, PPC, MC680x0
>> or, come to think of it, just about any other CPU)?
>>
> The platform is good ol' x86 because (1) everyone has one and (2)
> whatever you learn in this course will be immediately applicable in
> the real world.

It also has a horrific assembly, as well as a "too many layers" MMU
which revives that segmented addresses everyone have been working so
hard to forget ever existed.

ARM, on the other hand, is (1) reasonable and straight forward assembly,
and even reasonable MMU (2) has readily available emulators for all
platforms and (3) is also fairly immediately applicable in the real
world, arguably more so than X86.

Let's put it this way. The chances a CS graduate will be asked to write
an ARM based BSP are much higher than the chances she'll be asked to
write an X86 based one.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh