[Haifux] [OT][NON-JOB OFFER] Beauty and the Geek 3 (Channel 10)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 12:44:20 MSK 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:28, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a (probably unfounded) hope that guys on the linux
> lists will look for other things in women than just their
> external (!) beauty.

Of course, if they can't cook then they're right out!

Seriously, though, a production company was looking for stereotypical
geeks and approached a Linux list maintainer. Were you not aware of
the stereotype before you joined the list? Would you think it
insulting if they were looking for Jewish extremists and approached
the Hebron community? If they were looking for Salsa dancers and
approached a community of Bolivian immigrants? These people know where
to find what they need. It does not mean that everybody on the list
meets the stereotype (they contacted Orna, a _female_) but it is
reasonable to assume that there exist in this community stereotypical
geeks. Where else should they have looked, in a gym? On the beach?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com