[Haifux] Running 32 bit applications (Firefox?) on 64 bit machines

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Aug 20 20:32:29 MSD 2011

It has suddenly hit me, that there's no apparent reason to run most
executables as 64 bits on a x86_64 machine. I mean, what for? It's not
like I expect Firefox to address 1 GB of RAM. If it does, let it crash.
On the other hand, plugins and other binaries for 64 bits is a headache.
Flash player tops the list, I suppose.

So it really makes me wonder: Why are the preinstalled binaries on a 64
bit machine, well, 64 bit executables? I run a 64 bit machine because I
want the *overall* RAM to exceed 4 GB, but except for virtual machines,
I don't expect any application to have problems with the 32 bit limitation.

P.S. Just changed my Firefox to 32 bits. Had to install some libraries
manually to get Flash Player going: yum install libpk-gtk-module.so
libcanberra-gtk-module.so libcurl.i686 (thanks goes to strace as usual).

Web: http://www.billauer.co.il