[Haifux] Implementing read() like UNIX guys like it

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Apr 23 14:14:57 MSD 2011

Hi,

All three modes will be implemented anyhow. What I get from the answers
so far is that there is no standard solution indeed, so I'll go for the
TCP/IP-like solution by default (wait some 10 ms before returning a
non-full read() buffer). I suppose this will do more or less what most
people expect, without looking too bad to anyone.

I will then allow modifications with ioctl() for both low-latency mode
(no delay at all) or wait-forever (always return a full buffer). My
assumption is that if someone uses ioctl(), he won't blame me for doing
what the manual says.

And again, my own experiments are worthless, because they cover the
scenarios I can think about. I need a catch-all solution.

Thanks everyone.

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il