[Haifux] Implementing read() like UNIX guys like it

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Fri Apr 22 17:29:08 MSD 2011

Hi Muli,

I'll answer the your last question first: What I'm doing is basically a
general-purpose connection between a hardware FIFO within an FPGA and a
device file in Linux, with PCI Express as the data transport. That's why
I don't know if data will be coming constantly or in small drops into
the FIFO. I don't know if the user wants to use fread() or similar to
read chunks, or fgets()/fscanf() to get records of data.

And most of all: I want this to work out of the box, even if the
programmer and/or user is, how shall I put it, of the less qualified
type. The less pitfalls, the better.

But it's more like a socket, anyhow. Or a pipe.

And I know about O_NONBLOCK, of course, and I'm going to support it. But
that doesn't solve the "less qualified" issue. And still, we're left
with the question of whether an O_NONBLOCK call should return zero or
some bytes of data when it can't fulfill the entire request. I mean,
strictly speaking, O_NONBLOCK only tells the driver not to block, but it
doesn't say "give me what you have". Even though I would make the latter
interpretation.

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il