[Haifux] Login console freezes: Eli's weekly riddle

Maxim Kovgan kovganm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 13:46:43 MSD 2010

hi, Eli, et al.

It's all in all a very interesting thread :)

I have 2 points of contribution:

1) I hope I didn't miss a sentence in one of the emails "I've searched the google for 48 hours for similar problem..."
Are there any other people like yourself in the world ?
(I don't mean you're not unique and interesting guy, but I mean if there are any reports on problem like yours... in the kernel mailing lists ? or fedora ? )

2) Also, really to the point, I do not dispute it may be the kernel code to blame. But let's localize it:
The problem may be not in the reading the tty/pts, but with input-output synchronization.
I have noticed the opening of the device is done with these options:
O_RDWR | O_NOCTTY
I can imagine a situation when your tty does open quickly, but the call also may ask the display to be redrawn.
if there's some text in the output buffer, from previous application, for example.
And until writing to console has completed the redraw the open() call is stuck.
And yes,  I know what O_NOCTTY means.

so... on that note, it is possible the problem is with the framebuffer code.

To see if this is true, disable all the framebuffer stuff.
See how it performs.
And get back to us :)

Shabat Shalom.