[Haifux] Login console freezes: Eli's weekly riddle

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Fri Oct 29 11:54:55 MSD 2010

Hello,

Even though it would be fun (??!!) to dig into the authentication
mechanism, isn't the fact that failing to open /dev/tty takes 30 seconds
enough to blame the kernel alone? Or the same time to open /dev/pts/0?
Could there be any explanation for this except for a kernel bug?

And yes, I'm using Fedora 12 with a 2.6.36 vanilla kernel. I'm a wild
guy. But so was my 2.6.35, which has no particular problems, except for
what happens when the disk is accessed heavily. So the freeze thing lies
in what happened in the gap between two vanillas.

And as a side remark, I've had two null pointer oopses when logging out
the GUI console. The caller seems to be
selinux_socket_unix_stream_connect(). Oopses. I think I'm going to post
a kernel patch which paints the screen background blue.

My current standpoint is that I've seen enough to know who to blame, and
that leaves me with the possibility to post a kernel bug report (unless
someone tells me I'll make a fool of myself doing so) or just wait until
a kernel patch emerges. As I logout or boot very rarely, I can live with
this issue for a month or two. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il