[Haifux] [SOLVED] Slow system response under heavy disk load

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Thu Oct 28 15:32:25 MSD 2010

Hello,

Some of you have heard me complaining about bad system response when
making massive writes to the disk. I thought it was the software RAID,
or maybe the disk encryption, but it turns out it was a kernel bug. If
you have a fairly recent kernel (released during the last year or so)
but not a fresh 2.6.36, odds are that you have that problem too.

I've documented my findings (and how to see if you have that problem too) at

http://billauer.co.il/blog/2010/10/disk-io-scheduler-load-dd-freeze-stall-hang/

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il