[Haifux] Login console freezes: Eli's weekly riddle

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sun Nov 7 12:16:03 MSK 2010

On 07/11/10 00:44, Eli Billauer wrote:
> and I can only hope that those who maintain the software controlling
> my car's airbag are doing so with a deeper understanding of what each
> software component stands.

Can't speak for the airbag industry. I do and did have clients in the
aeronautics industry, though, and I can categorically tell you that
things there are much much much better. A typical semi-critical[1]
software piece designed to run in a civilian aircarft's cockpit gets
allocated a minimum of 9 hours of QA for each hour of development. There
are whole companies dedicated to code reviewing and certifying, and
there are strict, often draconian, software design and style restrictions.

I'm not sure what I feel about such bugs in the Linux kernel, but it[2]
does not diminish my safe feeling while flying.

Shachar

1 - Semi-critical - the pilot might, indirectly, rely on the information
received, but it does not, itself control the aircraft, nor does it even
provide flight-critical data. Maps are non-critical (uncertified). Maps
showing the aircraft's position on them are semi-critical, and must be
certified.
2 - Which is not to say that other things might.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.