[Haifux] Where were the organizers?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun May 23 09:56:00 MSD 2010

On 21 May 2010 09:15, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010, Eli Billauer wrote about "Re: [Haifux] Where were the organizers?":
>> Please keep in mind that the only dedicated staff in any lecture, is the
>> speaker himself (or herself). Arriving at a lecture expecting that
>> everything has been fixed by just somebody is a bit of a gambling.
>
> While I agree that nobody owes anybody anything, I don't think this is a
> valid attitude. You have to remember that even if nobody is "in charge" of
> haifux, the lecturer often hasn't got any clue on any of the details.
>
> Just as an example, when I gave my Hspell presentation a couple of months
> ago, I had a few moments of worry. First, the fascists at the gate didn't
> let me in - apparently they didn't get the fax that was suppsosed to have
> been sent by someone in Haifux. After 10 minutes of arguments, and help
> from a "chaver telefoni" (Orna), they let me in.

I usually arrange the entrance to the Technion. Going through the fine
archives, I see that nobody requested ahead of time to arrange
entrance. I will try to contact lecturers from now on, to ask if they
need entrance to the Technion. Thanks for letting me know that this
may be a problem.

> That projector isn't exactly national security... What would it hurt to
> duplicate the key and give it to many Haifux regulars? How difficult is it
> to have a smoother car-permit process? Blaming the presenters on not taking
> care of these things is a bit silly, I think.

I think that the process is as smooth as it can be: just let me know.
However, if it is not known that I should be contacted, that is a
problem!

Additionally, there is no place to store such a duplicate key for the
projector. There are no "regulars".

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il