[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Hspell - a Retrospective - Nadav Har'El

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:27:29 MSK 2010

On Monday (in 3 days), February 1st at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a
talk by Nadav Har'El:

   Hspell - a Retrospective

Abstract

Hspell is a free Hebrew spell checker. It is used by most Linux
distributions, by free applications such as OpenOffice and Firefox, and even
by Google's popular Gmail service. Seven years after Hspell's first release,
it is a good occasion to look back and see what made it successful. We will
review Hspell's design, how it was works, and how it was developed. We will
ask ourselves what allowed Hspell to be developed quickly, what ensured its
quality, and what made it easy to adopt by all those systems and
applications. Finally, we will look at what Hspell can do beyond just
spell-checking, and speculate which new linguistic capabilities will be
needed by the applications of the next decade.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

15/02/10 VoIP in Linux: Rami Rosen
1/3/10 Drupal Israel Meetup - Israel David and others (TBD)

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org