[Haifux] Kernel oops, so what?

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Jan 16 00:11:34 MSK 2010

Thanks for your answers (on this one and on my other issues).

I realize that the oops is still an oops, only nowadays nobody want to
stop the whole show, just because some kernel code misbehaved. If the
general idea is that the worst thing a kernel can do is to crash, why
crash now? Kill the offender, hope it didn't have time to screw things
up too much, and go on as if nothing happened.

Sooner or later the bug will be fixed, user upgrades kernel, the user
won't notice anything. Why make the user's experience miserable with
ugly crashes?

As for my own computer's welfare, this seems to happen once per reboot,
with no stability issues at all. I'll see if I can find a way to avoid
this, but my gut feeling tells me that the answer is a kernel patch,
which is already waiting in the kernel's digestive tract.

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il