[Haifux] Whole disk encryption, because it costs nothing?

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Tue Jan 12 14:25:00 MSK 2010

Etzion Bar-Noy wrote:

> Sequential IO is very simple, relatively, so that you will hardly feel
> the performance impact testing it.
> Test random IO loads with small packets (0.5K-4K) and you will
> probably feel the performance impact there.

It crossed my mind that a sequential test was too simplistic. My ideal
test would be a database server running like crazy on the data, but this
is not my application anyhow. I agree that I should test the system
"under load" but I can't really think about a realistic "under load"
scenario for 4 hyperthreaded CPUs. At least not something that I could
test without turning it into a project. So I went for the session below.

/usr is unencypted. /secret is encrypted. My home directory sits on a
740 GB ext4 partition, which has seen some activity. /secret and /fresh
are 20 GB, and are pretty untouched.

The whole system will be reinstalled pretty soon, so I don't care about
being root and fooling around. ;)

My finding is that encryption still speeds up writes. This is really
weird. I swear that /fresh was created a minute before I used it on this
test, so I suppose it can't be in a better shape. Still, writing to
/secret is faster. The only thing that was slower was removing a lot of
files in one go.

It's also interesting to note that writing to my home directory was
considerably slower. So even if encryption turns out to have some
impact, other factors (partition size? Fragmentation?) seem to be more
dominant.

So while I still agree with the concept that encryption must surely slow
down disk writes, my tests show me the contrary.

Insights, anyone?
    Eli