[Haifux] QEMU/KVM vs. VMWare: The beauty and the beast

Etzion Bar-Noy ezaton at tournament.org.il
Mon Jan 11 01:47:29 MSK 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Sorana Fraier <sf10095 at gmail.com> wrote:

> the only drawback of virtualbox open source is that it doesn't allow to
> attach a usb. The binary version allows that.

No. It does. Did quite happily now. USB 1.1, as far as I can recall, but for
me it was quite enough.

Compare apples to apples and bananas to bananas.

Vmware Player, as well as KVM and VirtualBox are tools for desktop
virtualization. It means you are expected to run them virtual desktops on
your desktop and have a happy GUI interface, all in all.

Xen, much like Vmware ESX(i) is a server-virtualization tool. It is far less
superior where it comes to display acceleration, but the total performance
(to point the most important one - disk access performance) is way better.
Sky high better. On a single server running two or maybe three windows VMs
on VMware player, you could run about 5-8 similar VMs with no performance
impact on Xen or Vmware ESX, although you won't want to use your VMs for 3d
games.

And indeed - VMPlayer was far inferior compared to VirtualBox on my PC for a
single Windows VM (required for VPNs to customers). The difference was
obvious.

Ez