[Haifux] QEMU/KVM vs. VMWare: The beauty and the beast

guy keren choo at actcom.co.il
Mon Jan 11 00:22:23 MSK 2010

Eli Billauer wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I've been playing around with my new Fedora 12 computer (Intel i7 quad
> core) for a few days, mainly for the purpose of making educated
> decisions about how to virtualize two old computers, which I want to get
> rid of. They are running Windows 2000 and Redhat 7.3. I only tested the
> Windows part (Linux should be much easier). Fedora 12 is the host, of
> course.
>
> I've looked at QEMU/KVM vs. VMWare.  I want to share my experiences and
> insights with you, because I don't like the bottom line, which is the
> VMWare is better for almost all home purposes (I'm not talking about
> cloud servers and such). Which makes me wonder: Is VMWare a honey trap,
> or is it currently the preferred choice?

i didn't try KVM - i did try XEN - and it, too, works in a similar
)Crappy) manner. i didn't compare it "head to head" with vmplayer on the
same machine - but it is quite very slagish.

with xen, i did manage to find some... driver(?) that made the mouse
pointer work much better then without it - did you look for something
similar for KVM?

i think that the main issue, is that vmplayer is a down-sized version of
a commercial GUI program (vmware workstation) - and these programs tend
to be far more polished then "technology-oriented" programs, such as
qemu. it could be that since KVM is "commercial" meant mostly for
desktops - they'll have better support in the future - assuming there is
no collision between the commercialization-efforts of nucleolus/redhat
and the free-software-ness of the KVM kernel part.

--guy