[Haifux] FOSS alternatives to an Access-based organizational software solution

guy keren choo at actcom.co.il
Sat Dec 4 16:10:07 MSK 2010

as a non-expert in this area, i will try to give you two cents and a
penny ;)

1. regarding scaling the existing solution - i guess that switching the
back-end to using SQL server will make it scale better. further, it
might be possible to make a crude test of this without changing the
entire application - i think i remember that access can use SQL server
as a backend. there used to be a free version of SQL server (that was
limited to 10 users) - which may be used in such a "proof of concept"
test. it used to be called MSDE. these days it is simply the "express
edition" of sql server 2005 or sql server 2008. if you live with the
limitations it imposes - you might be able to use the free version also
in production:

     http://www.microsoft.com/express/Database/

2. did you verify that you don't need to simply upgrade the server
hardware? or do you also see the slow down on the client machines?

3. i imagine that if you build such a thing today, making it web-based
will make more sense then writing a full-fledged application client.
especially if you'll use a linux back-end - since you'll want the
clients to work on windows. with today's technology, web applications
can give you a good frontend (with use of javascript and ajax) to show
data records (e.g. look at google's online spreadsheet application).
of-course, it'll be a good idea to define the desired interface first,
and see how much data you want to display at any given time, and make a
small proof of concept to see that the javascript code in the browser
handles it well (javascript is somewhat slow - and i'm not sure if it'll
work to show thousands of records on a single screen - so you need to
figure out if you need to be able to do this on the client - or whether
viewing by "screens" (show first 100, show next 100, etc.) will be good
for you when showing query results.

4. i would suggest that you subscribe to the linux-il mailing list -
there are many more people there, and in particular - people that work
with LAMP for their living - they are likely to be able to give you
better and more specific advice:

keep in mind that some of them are consultants and developers that
provide the development services you are looking for - so they can help
you better (and on the other hand - they may be biased towards their
preferred solutions).

--guy