[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Advanced Gdb - David Khosid

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 22:24:57 MSD 2009

Tomorrow, on Monday, September 21st at 18:30, Haifux will gather to
hear  David Khosid talk about

                           Advanced Gdb

This is a re-run of a Telux talk from Spetember 6th, 2009. In view of
guy keren's recent talks, the focus of the Haifux talk will be
automating repetitive tasks, a little more on debugging STL containers
etc.

Abstract of original talk from Telux:

In general, I will be sharing my discovery with you: When the
debugging of modern software is required, basic GDB techniques are
insufficient, but new techniques can be created from the nearly 160
commands available in GDB. "Modern software" refers to multi-
threading, using STL and other libraries, IPC, signals and exception
mechanisms. In this lecture, I will explain techniques for debugging
large, modern software written in C++.

The presentation will be accompanied by vivid examples for all the topics.

Covered topics:

   1. Preparing a program for debugging; starting the debug session
   2. Controlling GDB: getting help, navigating, using breakpoints and
watchpoints
   3. Extending GDB through user-defined commands
   4. Analyzing STL containers and algorithms
   5. Dealing with multi-threading, C++ exceptions
   6. Managing signals
   7. Automating repetitive tasks on the almost unchanging code base
   8. Remote debugging

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

Social and Cultural perspective on the Israeli FOSS community   Liora
Shlomi  26/10/2009

W2L: Development Tools (12:30, SSDL lab) - Eli Billauer and Tzafrir
Rehan 28/10/2009

W2L: FOSS Philosophy: Orna Agmon ben-Yehuda 2/11/2009

Configuration Party (16:30-20:30, SSDL lab) 3/11/2009 - Volunteers Required

How Time Flies: Jiffies, Hi-Res Timers and the Tickless Kernel  Gilad
Ben-Yossef      09/11/2009

0AD     Aviv Sharon, Shimon Grinberg and TBD    07/12/2009       A
real-time FOSS strategy game

Nested Virtualization   Muli Ben-Yehuda         21/12/2009

The FOSS Community as a Social Phenomenon       Yaron Dishon    18/01/2010

We still have two open slots for 2009, grab them while they're hot!

Open Slots:
October 12
November 23

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish
to give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event Haifux
might be interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org