[Haifux] Open Source Games or the Lack of Them

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Sat Sep 19 11:54:41 MSD 2009

On Friday, 18 בSeptember 2009 16:50:38 Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Since a typical game nowadays costs a lot of money to develop, and requires
> the collaboration of many people, it seems unlikely that we will see many
> open-source games that are up-to-par with commercial offerings.

Rubbish.

I can still remember when people thought that writing small utilities (e.g:
a shell) is OK, but a real COMPILER? Out of the question...

OK, maybe a compiler yes, but a KERNEL? Nah...

Surely, a full desktop is out of reach of a community effort...

Hmmmm.... these are all the easy ones. GAMES are the ultimate obstacle.
No chance to tackle it. We are doomed :-O

Shana Tova and may the source be with you.

P.S: Shlomi, you've started debating by cross-posting to 3-4 large
     mailing lists.
     Cut it out! If you cannot choose the "right" mailing list for a
     post, just skip it until you do.

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron