[Haifux] [W2L] Call for lecturer + "Linux guru"

Ohad Lutzky ohad at lutzky.net
Sun Oct 18 08:12:18 MSD 2009

Of course it would. But this one puts a lot of candy down that same path as
well. These mines hurt, but are not fatal (again, from my experience, all
mistakes can be recovered if detected within a reasonable time), and git's
features make it, IMO, worth the trouble. For example, while many people
find the staging area confusing (you have to "add" a file you've changed
again in order to commit it, or just use commit -a to automatically add all
changed files), it allows git to do awesome stuff like "git add -p"; this
command goes over the differences from the previous version (like git diff),
and asks you which hunks to stage. This means you can make a set of changes,
realize it can be logically split into two, smaller sets of changes, and
proceed to commit it as two sets of changes. Or, for a more common case, it
allows you to stage only your actual fix to the commit without the various
debugging statements you've added across your code in order to track down a
bug, and do a quick "git reset --hard" afterwards.
There's a succinct list of reasons I like git here:
http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that
is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to

Ohad Lutzky