[Haifux] [W2L] Call for lecturer + "Linux guru"

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sat Oct 17 16:29:49 MSD 2009

On Friday 16 Oct 2009 09:17:57 Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > I'm not sure I agree with you regarding version control systems.
> >
> > Specifically distributed version control systems make the common case of
> > a repository for the project simple. Unlike Subversion, you don't need
> > to set up a separate server.
>
> You do not need to set up a separate server in subversion. "svnadmin
> create ~/svn ; svn co file:///home/sun/svn" is enough.
>
> > And it saves you a whole lot of time in saving ex1.c_1 , ex1.c_2,
> > ex.c.orig and such.
>
> Has anyone compared git's performance with file:// based svn? I'm not
> sure that claim holds.

I once ran a large svn diff over a localhost http:// repository that I cloned
from a remote opensvn.csie.org one (opensvn == very slow connectivity, based
in Taiwan - but free for any legal use) using svnsync. It finished incredibly
quickly - probably less than 3 seconds - maybe even less.

I didn't try it on a file:/// yet, but I tend to distrust file:/// Subversion
URLs. Part of the problem with using Subversion over HTTP is that svn has so
far stuck to a strict interpretation of the WebDAV/DeltaV standard:

http://blog.red-bean.com/sussman/?p=139

Reportedly (see above) this protocol implements ClearCase over HTTP, and has
failed to gain acceptance, and is much more complex than needed. In svn-1.6
they plan to use a less wasteful protocol, which will hopefully make things
faster over sub-optimal connections such as WAN or Internet.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish