[Haifux] [W2L] Call for lecturer + "Linux guru"

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Oct 16 01:17:06 MSD 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 09:13:58PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:
> OK, I think this is a good time to express my view regarding the
> "Development tools" lecture. It's purpose, as I see it, is to give the
> students a nice start with the "right" tools for developing code, as
> needed for their exercises. If their experience is good, they'll stay.
> If not, they'll soon use the alternatives.
>

> If you want to give a lecture about any other subject, as a
> Stay-in-Linux or mainstream lecture, by all means come forward. But
> let's try to get some focus on the initial lecture.
>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but a student is not likely to go beyond a
> project which runs on a single platform, having a few source files, and
> with no more than two or three persons involved. Hence autotools are
> irrelevant, and so are version control systems. Tarballing all sources,
> and sending to your partner with comments, is as much version control as
> you need in these situations.

I'm not sure I agree with you regarding version control systems.

Specifically distributed version control systems make the common case of
a repository for the project simple. Unlike Subversion, you don't need
to set up a separate server.

And it saves you a whole lot of time in saving ex1.c_1 , ex1.c_2,
ex.c.orig and such. I think that demonstarting simple linear workflow
(no branches, no remote repositories) with git, bzr or hg could be handy.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best