[Haifux] Linux Friendly Netbook?

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Mon May 4 09:54:06 MSD 2009

On 04.05.2009 Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Well, I read the Link you provided, and I suggest you should read the
> update here:
> http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/03/19/news-from-the-poulsbo-front/
>
> Basically the driver is being changed to full open source style

Yeh, I've read it at the time, but note that it "is being changed"
so it's not there yet -- the original poster wanted to buy a product
working today.

> xorg-x11-drv-vesa-2.2.0-3.fc10.i386.rpm which supports GMA-500 pretty

Even after this work is done, we will get VESA! No 3D acceleration.
So, for the time being, it looks safer to go with the traditional
Intel chipsets.

> As I wrote in my blog about Netbook graphics chipsets
> (http://benhamo.org/wp/?p=1423), soon there will be some netbooks
> using the ION chipsets with nVidia 9400M which fully supports all it's
> features under any Linux distribution.

With binary only drivers... no thanks.

However, I'm optimistic because the general situation in graphic chipsets
is improving rapidly -- Intel works hard to get supported drivers into
upstream kernel, and AMD/ATI are keeping their promises so far and
add the missing pieces as well.