[Haifux] save my Linux

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:34:45 MSD 2009

> Personally, I'm a bit queasy about recommending 9.04 to people. It has too
> many reports of sound and video not working for people. I would go with 8.10
> for newbies.

I counter with Bluetooth not working in Kubuntu 8.10 (may not be an
issue for Ubuntu / Xubuntu users, but was for me) and video display
problems on my ATI x1400 Mobility Radeon card. I have installed
Kubuntu 9.04 on a few systems, both desktops and laptops, and haven't
yet run into sound problems. I did run into video problems with
Mythbuntu one machine that was to be used for a satellite-based media
center, though. The user wound up going with XP, which also had video
problems if I remember correctly.

In short, every two steps of progress in Linux is one step back, and
Zohar will not know if Ubuntu 9.04 will work for him or not until he
tries. Without knowing his equipment I'd hazard a guess that the odds
are in his favor (from previous experience) and if not, 8.10 is only a
half-hour install away (and another burned disc).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il