[Haifux] [HAIFUX Lecture] Sifting a Haystack -- The Slashdot Back-End From a Naive User's Point of View by Tim Lord

Orr Dunkelman orr.dunkelman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 15:48:02 MSK 2009

Next Monday, February 2nd at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear
Tim Lord speaking about

    Sifting a Haystack -- The Slashdot Back-End From a Naive User's
Point of View

Abstract

I'll give an overview of the Slashdot editorial process, and
demonstrate the back-end tools (all running on Linux, mostly written
in Perl, with an increasingly Ajax-based user interface) that we use
to organize hundreds of submissions each day to select the handful
that we post to the page. I'll also explain some of the software-based
methods we use to identify and avoid abusive users, and answer any
questions that I can.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

16/2/09  Wireless in Linux 	Rami Rosen
 2/3/09  Progreamming NXT using Open Source platforms
 						Yaniv Aknin
16/3/09  Introduction to openmp 	Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda
30/3/09  openmp - from the developer's side
						Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda
20/4/09  OpenCL Overview 	Ofer Rosenberg
 4/5/09  gdb in Greater Depth 	Guy Keren
18/5/09  Compiling Effectively for Cell with GCC
						Revital Eres

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org.

--
Orr Dunkelman,
Orr.Dunkelman at gmail.com

"a scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, -- a mere
heart of stone" - Charles Darwin.

GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3  2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys. The key
corresponds to orrd at vipe.technion.ac.il)