[Haifux] Using apt to make a "student" ubuntu distribution

Tzafrir Rehan tzafrir.r at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 00:16:16 MSK 2009

I'm having this idea in my head, of creating an apt repository, which
contains a dummy package that depends on all the packages that we recommend
students to install right after installing ubuntu.

Then all we need to give students is the simple instructions as to how to
add that repository to apt sources list (can be done graphically through
synaptic) instead of a long list of packages.

Perhaps this can even be used as a method of maintaining the systems
installed at the various technion labs that currently use ubuntu, with the
various configurations, and of course anyone outside that wants this can use
it as well.

I'd love to hear ideas on this matter.

--

Tzafrir.